Saturday, February 21, 2009

Snowflake Designs
is my next shop feature from Etsy.com
She is a young designer of unique jewelry pieces. Every item is special and one-of-a-kind - just like snowflakes! Isn't that a beautiful thought! Each piece is made with thought and care, with emphasis on the overall effect rather than strictly adhering to one certain technique. She is a self-taught jewelry artist and uses glass beads, gemstones, pearls, wood, polymer clay, and even recycled paper in her designs.
Snoflake Designs is always improving and perfecting her technique. She is always open to suggestions for the better of her work flow and customer satisfaction.

SnoflakeDesigns was kind to share her inspirations and creative ideas with us, so here they are:

How long have you been creating jewelry?
I got my first introduction to jewelry making as a class project in the fourth grade. I was immediately hooked! Well, I'm almost 30 now and so obviously, my styles and techniques have changed a lot since then. I've shown my work at dozens of art shows and festivals and now on Etsy. My goals for the future include continuing to learn new techniques to improve my collection and eventually I hope to sell my jewelry in a few small boutiques.

Do you have any particular materials you like to work with?
I use a very mixed media approach to designing jewelry. I work with gemstones, pearls,glass, wood, and shell beads, polymer clay, wire, and even recycled paper. I feel that this approach gives me more flexibility to exercise my creative muscles. Some of my favorite gemstones are amazonite, amethyst, and citrine.

What is your most favorite item on Etsy ?
I am constantly amazed at how much talent exists in the Etsy community and I have so many favorites. But to name just one, I have to say these sarcastic little notes really cracked me up: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20107451 from Neat Things
What inspires you when you are creating new pieces?
I often find inspiration in nature. For instance, I recently created a necklace made of pearls and smokey quartz that was inspired by a snow covered branch of pussy willows. Also, sometimes the materials themselves really inspire me. A certain gemstone might just beg to be used in a particular color combination. Sometimes my ideas start with a sketch and then I build the jewelry from there. Other times, I just figure it out as I go!




No comments:

Post a Comment